Saturday, January 11, 2014

Beer... yes, beer!


Beer... my one weakness! And this year Megan decided it was time to exploit my weakness by giving me a beer brewing kit for Christmas with an Imperial IPA as my first beer.  I am very excited to be able to brew my own beer and also nervous at the same time.  What if I screw it up, nobody likes bad beer, especially if a great amount of time and energy is spent to brew it oneself.   Anywho, the whole process started last night with the preparation of the yeast. For an imperial ipa you need mature yeast.  So I had to boil some of the powdered stuff (DME) and mix in the yeast vile from the refrigerator after shaking it really well in a growler.   Then, since we keep our house cool, I brought the growler to our neighbors.  He keeps his place at a minimum of 70 degrees. Our yeast will mature at Jimmy's from 24-48 hours before returning home to be added to the brew.  Once I brew my wort I will have to turn the heat up to 64 degrees for 7-10 days to enable the yeast to ferment; hence adding alcohol to my brew and cheer to Megan for having a warm home.  After that you will receive an update and pictures of the bottling process.  And then 2-4 weeks after bottling I will be enjoying a frothy adult beverage of my own concoction and you will hear all about it right here on my blog.  I can't wait!!! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment