Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Day Ride - Part Deux!

When I awoke this morning I still felt the need to summit Mt. Pisgah; which was my original intention for the first ride of the year.  Some of you may know that last year (2013) my goal was to ride to Mt. Pisgah each month.  That goal was achieved.  As of yet I had not set any goals for the year 2014, so I felt the need for some thinking time on the climb up to the top.  January 1st the weather was just about perfect for a bike ride.  Today, however, mother nature did not plan to make conditions suitable for the average cyclist.  I am definitely not the average cyclist, which I started to realize on my ride today.  I began to wonder why I ride: am I motivated? committed? serious? enthusiastic? or just plain crazy?  It was chilly and wet when I left the house.  By the time I reached the Blue Ridge Parkway it had started to rain.  Since I had the heavy bike, I packed plenty of gear to ensure that I would remain "comfortable" throughout the ride.  So, I stopped to don my rain gear at the beginning of the climb from the French Broad River.  About one mile later it had stopped raining.   I stopped to take off the waterproof layer.... then it started to rain again.  Such was the day, so I left the rain gear on for the entire ride. During the ride I was treated to many beautiful sites and granted the much needed time to think about my goals.  One of my major thoughts was to start a journal again; of course this was inspired by Bryan Yerman's Video ( Bryan's Cool Video )  (you must watch his amazing creation!).  Then I realized that there is a modern day journal... the blog!  I also thought about including images and feelings about what I am thankful for in my life.  Overall it might be enjoyable to have something to look back upon in the future.  Homebrewing was another major topic, and of course I will summit Mt. Pisgah every month this year as well, but I still need to iron some other things out.  I think I will treat new years resolutions like dieting... it's a life change, hence a work in progress!! By the time I reached the top I was wet inside and out!  As you may guess I was prepared.  So I pulled off the wet stuff and put on the warm dry stuff.  What a frigid couple of minutes that was!!  The first few miles down are steep and fast!  Always a blast!!  Creating this blog is going to be a challenge and learning experience for this year.  I have had a very frustrating few hours, but thinking about my ride has helped ease the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment