Saturday, February 8, 2014

36 Year Old Fortune... Really!


Yesterday, in the mail, I received some items that my mom found while sorting through some old family mementos.   After looking through the photos, I opened an envelope with something I have never seen before. My grandfather's money-clip with two Chinese fortunes never found before, amazing!
Sadly, I never really got to know either one of my grandfathers.  My dad's father I did not meet till just before he died and my mother's father died when I was six. I got to spend plenty of time with my mother's father and to this day I still consider him to be a legend in my own mind.  We ate pistachios together, cut the grass,  and even made a tree fort out of the forsythia bush! My one largest regret in life is not getting to know my grandfathers better.  I just wish I get to know my dad better before I regret that as well; getting there though.  
Just yesterday my mother sent me a money clip that belonged to my grandfather.   Immediately I noticed some papers tucked up high in the clip that no one noticed before..  My grandfather had apparently saved two Chinese fortunes that meant something to him.  "The only sure thing about luck is that it will change." and "You are a source of wisdom and strength to many people."  Makes me wonder more about who my grandfather was as a person.  I have some things, photos and a large memory about our time together, but it is hard for me to place him as a person considering I was just a child when I knew him.  The other thing my mother sent was a pocket knife with my Uncle, Albert Conte's Insurance Company name stamped on the side.  Him I never really knew, but sense great things.
I guess as we grow older we tend to realize more and more how little we really knew of our ancestors.  Now is the time to get to know our family before it is too late!!  Call or email me!! And lets get the ball rolling before we are too old to remember or just not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment