Sunday, February 2, 2014

Old Bike is the New Bike!


A few years ago single speed bike riding was the hot new trend; I think this was just before the 29er phase.  I never really bought into either fad.  In fact, I think I am usually before or way after fads in my discoveries of new ways to do fun things.  Just recently I got the hankering to try something new for me... single speed.   So I took my old Cannondale frame and pulled the shifting system off and set it up to run with just one cog, viola single speed (with a little help from Gabe).  Still need to get the dedicated crank hooked up, but the ghetto version works just fine. I also put a different fork on and flat pedals.  It is basically a high-tech BMX bike!

Once complete I took the bike and Abby outside for a test ride.  No helmet, no bike clothes, and no bike shoes.  Just head out the door and pedal.  I can tell you that being able to just grab the bike and go was liberating.  Not to mention the simplicity of not worrying about in which gear to be.  Just go go go.  Of course, going up hills was a little challenging without being able to shift into an easier gear.   Like Gregg from the shop says: "Three gears; sit, stand, run!"  I can't wait to take it out into Bent Creek and see how I do out on the trails.   For now I like having a bike that I can just grab to go get the mail,  etc.
One Gear!
Pedals that do not require special shoes!
Look no clumsy shifters!

No comments:

Post a Comment